newsletter

Gets updates an exclusive things when you sign up to our free newsletter

History

 

A Journey Through More Than 95 Years Of History.

Dr. Otto Greither (1867 - 1930) studied medicine at Munich University. He was licensed to practice medicine in 1892, as well as studying dentistry. As is common amongst "wounded healers", a serious illness motivated Dr. Otto Greither to research into the causes and effects of disorders in the human body.

His findings: that the secret of many types of disorder lies in digestion.

Based on this realisation, Dr. Greither developed his "Salus Treatment" and commissioned his factory to produce the remedy. This was the beginning of an era of success which still continues today.

Dr. Otto Greither founded the Salus-Werk in Munich - which were initially just a couple of rooms with a tiny workshop. Their doors were opened for business for the first time in 1916.

In 1925, following almost 10 years of successful business activity, the time had come at last, and the company moves to its own premises. Dr. Otto Greither has an old factory building converted to suit the special production requirements of this company. This is to be the headquarters of the Salus medicine producing company for decades to come. Also this year, the present owner of the company Salus-Haus, Otto Greither, is born.

On 17 December, 1930 the tremendous success enjoyed by Salus-Haus is overshadowed by the death of
Dr. Otto Greither. His widow and experienced leading members of staff take over management of the company, following closely in the footsteps of its founder. Right up until the beginning of World War II in 1939, the company experiences outstanding growth.

It's now 1943, and in the ravages of World War II, the factory in Munich is bombed out and completely destroyed.

In 1945, Dr. Greither's widow dies, leaving her son Otto Greither, to maintain his father's inheritance and to carry on the Salus name. So, under very difficult circumstances, Mr Greither, along with his brother Hans, and some former members of staff, work together to get a functioning natural medicine production plant in operation following its destruction during the war. Otto Greither was only twenty years of age.

In 1960, Salus Haus takes over Floradix Medicinal Products, which over the course of time becomes fully integrated and continues to be sold in many countries under the current name of Floradix.

In 1999 as the company grew further, an expansion of the premises became necessary. In a newly constructed building, one of the most modern laboratories was put into operation. Furthermore, a new extraction plant started production. Mr. Otto Greither was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit, 1st class.

By the year 2000, at the occasion of his 75th anniversary, the owner of Salus-Haus, Mr. Otto Greither, handed over the Salus Auwald Biotope, an area of about 27.000 m2, to the public where a zoological museum is opened for visitors to learn about animals from the local region.

In 2010, as a natural drug manufacturer Salus takes a clear position against the use of genetic engineering in agriculture and does not use raw materials from these sources.

In early summer 2011, the company commissioned two photovoltaic plants built on the facade and on the roof of warehouse buildings, a further important step towards a sustainable energy supply in the SALUS house. Along with the now newly installed plants, around 290,000 kWh of electricity can be generated purely from solar power, and Salus receives the "Lion Family 2011" award.

By 2012, approximately 2,290,000 kWh of electricity is generated annually within its own environmentally friendly Salus plants. This represents about 70% of the electricity demand at the production site.

In 2014 and beyond, the Salus Group remains committed to the welfare and health of the people including the conservation and sustainable use of our environment.